UPDATE: Massacre in Latakia, Syria.
“Freedom does not come in ‘Home Delivery.’”
Whether the event took place in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Libya, Bahrain, Syria and Jordan, we keep hearing the same exact accusations by the tyrants who think they “own” the countries they rule.
- On December 30, 2010 Zein El Abedine Ben Ali’s threatened to “punish the rioters”in his speech. He said he “understood” people’s anger but that violence will not be tolerated (source)
- On January 31, 2010, Hosni Mubarak of Egypt “acknowledged” the grievances of the demonstrators, but blamed the “Muslim Brotherhood” opposition movement for the disorder and looting of recent days, saying that Islamists had “striven to cause chaos”.
- King Abdullah of Jordan blamed Israel for Arab anger!
- On February 18, the “King” of Bahrain blamed Iran for the uprising against his family’s 200+ years in power!
- On February 26, 2011 Qaddafi claimed that the protesters were young people who had been manipulated by Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda’s leader, and were acting under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs! A day earlier, Qaddafi’s son blamed Canada for the Libyan unrest! Later, Qaddafi blamed the United States, hallucinogenic drugs, Egypt, young adults, “greasy rats,” gangsters, and (my personal favorite) “someone with a beard.“
- On March 2nd, 2011 Ali Abdullah Saleh of Yemen dismissed the rally by his people as “a copycat action” mimicking protests in other Arab countries. He charged that the “riots” had been fanned by Israel and the United States.
- And On March 30, 2011 Assad blamed conspirators for the uprising! His “aides” stressed how important his address to his people would be, that it would contain “great news,” but turned out to be no more more than the speeches delivered by Mubarak, Qaddafi and Saleh! Same wording, same blame and same wish: to hold on to power!
And so on!
The political system then was really parallel to what we currently have in the U.S.: one elected President and “governors” running the vast parts of the empire. History attests to this prosperity and advancement in sciences, literature, architect, medicine, etc. Even the numbers we use (1, 2, 3) are Arabic numbers! The empire introduced the “zero” and everyone paid the “tax” (Zakah) and at one time, no poor family could be found to whom this “tax” could be paid in the form of assistance.
Now it’s exactly the opposite: Rulers are attached to their thrones! They steal the wealth and appoint their families to help them suffocate and steal more of their countries resources. They bribe and steal to achieve more power. Getting to power, as the modern world had witnessed was often based on a militant uprising against another (previous) ruler, promising prosperity and economic changes and such empty and false promises. Assad himself had promised, when he took office after the death of his father, that he would make Syria the envy of the Arab world and that every Arab would wish that s/he had the Syrian citizenship!
And such are the oppressive regimes of the Middle East. Blind, Ruthless, Tyrants… and we support them because of OIL or “our” interests while we call for democracy! The hypocrisy.
These regimes must GO!
- Assad blames conspirators for unrest (guardian.co.uk)
- Syrians join the Arab protests (guardian.co.uk)
- Gaddafi must go, but Assad stays. So saith the Obama misadministration. (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Israel not eager to see Syria’s Assad go (seattletimes.nwsource.com)